Build is the way you design how your character will be. The Fallout series expresses a freedom to let players decide how their character will be. Would you be a master in gun, probably a warmonger? You can do what you want.
This is one of the most controversial topic in the vault. Fans always discuss and ask which one is the best build. The answer is very simple, there is no build that can be the best. It totally depends on your play style. One might be good at sniping and another might be good at melee combat. It’s better to create a build you enjoy the most rather than focusing on the best available build. If you know the way you want to play the game, just go with that build.
How to Create Your Build
Build is the term people call the decision-making process on what point to put into each S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute. Each attribute grants individual characteristic to a player. If you learn Strength, your melee attack will be more powerful and can carry more weight. If you get Luck, it will give you more chances in getting rare items, or accidentally get help from some stranger. The more you invest in one attribute, the more abilities you earn from that attribute. The higher perk (link to perk page) will be unlocked if you learn higher attributes.
The attribute selection will start after you finish creating the character. The game will start in your house where a Vault-Tec agent will come over and offer you a secure place to live. Then, he will ask for your information and the attribute selection panel will show up.
There are 7 attributes (link to SPECIAL) to be selected. Each attribute will start at 1. You will initially have 21 points to adjust the stats. The total points of attribute will be 28. You need to think carefully before confirming your characteristics.
Since it might be confusing to new players here, we have recommended builds to consider.
The main idea of this build is to keep you alive and enjoy the maximum bonus exp for intelligence. It’s suitable for those who love grinding and progression of leveling. This build will do anything to gain levels as fast as possible. The higher the level your character gains, the more achievement and new content you can access.
The number one attribute to devote is Intelligence. In Fallout 4, Intelligence will add extra experience that you will earn from killing. There is no doubt to max it out. In addition, the perk you gain from Intelligence will ease your roaming through the wasteland. By gaining hi-technology knowledge, you can modify weapons to be more powerful.
Certainly, grinding means to kill more to earn better amount of experience. Melee combat is easier for grinding. To master close combat Strength and Endurance are two more things to consider. Putting Strength to 4 is enough for hitting enemy.
Due to the fact that you need to get close to enemies, Endurance should be reached to 10 in order to gain full durability. Another benefit on having ultimate level of Endurance is its perks. Many perks of this attribute are about regeneration. It is worth to learn this branch because having many healing factor would be better than relying on Stimpaks only.
- Medic – Intelligence 2: You can use Stimpaks and RadAway more effectively. They restore more health and remove more radiation.Not only will this improve the Stimpaks effects that you can get, increasing the efficiency of Stimpaks means you can carry less healing items, so you can collect more items for your inventory instead.
- Solar Powered – Endurance 10: Regenerate Hit Points when in direct sunlight, and store solar energy to restore full health when in other areas. Bonus: Adds solar flare ability that sets fire to nearby enemies.Would it be good if you are more of a tanker during the day? The regeneration rate is necessary to a fighter. The more you can stand the pain with less resting or medicine, the more experience will be rewarded to you. Also, the bonus power imbues your combat ability.
This is a traditional build for the Fallout series. The advantage of being a sniper is to deal deadly damage that could rip off enemies quickly or kill in a single shot from distance. The sniper build will be more powerful if it adds up with sneak abilities.
When thinking about guns, Perception will play a major role. This attribute affects the accuracy of your shot. Usually, the sniper will ignore durability so any missed shot could lead to demise. Perception also increases the awareness and environmental senses which is crucial for long-ranged raiders. There is no advantage to be had for leaving it at a less than maximum value.
Luck helps sniper to gain better rate of critical hit. This is critical as its name, critical hit, will ensure enemies will be slain before getting any closer to you. Meanwhile Strength is also important, reducing the recoil of weapon is needed as it indirectly increases your accuracy. The next shot will be smoother. Most snipers are fragile and the ability to carry more items means the more Stimpaks we can carry to save our life in battlefield.
Again, the big issue for snipers is their being too fragile. If he/she gets caught, difficulty will arise. Putting agility to 3 is enough to gain a sneak ability.
One thing to remember is to not have any enemy get close to you. One normal attack could mean a serious damage to you.
- Rifleman – Perception 2: Increases damage with single-shot rifles and shotguns.
As a sniper, damage is really needed. Otherwise, the distance between you and your enemies will be shortened.
- Concentrated Fire – Perception 10: Improves accuracy in V.A.T.S. per queued shot, as well as slowing down time in sighted mode. Bonus: All ranged damage increased by 20% during slowdown.A sniper can really enjoy V.A.T.S. Sometimes, it can save you from crisis situation. Adding damage is always interesting for a ranged killer.
- Sneak – Agility 3: Allows you to move around in sneak mode without being seen or heard. This perk is a must-have for all players who prefer to complete objectives in stealthy assassin style.A sniper’s job is to kill all threats from a distance. Would it be great if you can sneak to the target up close and give him Coup de Grace?
This is a welcome build for an upcoming feature in Fallout4. The build is dedicated to becoming an expert in crafting and building. The purpose of your character is to find good materials with an ability to carry all you have found around the world and gain access to awesome structures. It is similar to a scientist build but this one focuses more on building.
Strength is your first priority to think about when putting in points. Maximizing Strength will increase the weight you can carry. Why the need to expand your weight limit? It is because of time saving. The world is so wide and big. If you can carry more, the less time you need to get back to your base because your stuff is overloaded.
Luck is the second thing you should consider. If the lady of fortune is by your side, you might get rare items or find something you are in need to craft and take back to your base.
Intelligence should be invested to 5. At rank 4 and 5, you will gain Hacker and Engineer perks respectively. Hacker will allow you to create higher level structures, while Engineer will improve your machine to operate more efficiency.
The Builder Build will purely focus on building settlement, player might find it hard when it comes to combat. However, the maximum strength provides you with highly damage in melee attack.
- Strong Back – Strength 6: allows you to carry more items in your inventory. Bonus: Doubles movement rate whilst encumbered. This Perk is a great reward for builders. Since most of the time you will be busy with scrapping and gathering materials, getting back to your base too frequenyly is not a good idea.
- Hacker – Intelligence 4: Hacker is required for building some very useful objects like Terminals.Absolutely, no one wants to build a wooden shelter. To bring back civilization, sophisticated buildings are a must.
If you are seeking for an alternative build, the scientist is your answer. A new Einstein has been reincarnated in the world after nuclear war. Science can keep you alive in this post apocalypse and this build focuses on crafting to do chemistry, robot, and advanced stuff.
Intelligence to 10 is the first thing to go for. The Intelligence branch will exploit all artifacts you can craft; chemistry, robot, medicine. The joy is in your laboratory.
Charisma might surprise you when this guide suggests you to max it out. Actually, this one is very useful. Since a scientist loses many abilities in fighting, Charisma can help you survive a major threat in the wasteland. This attribute will influence your companion to be more powerful or turn your enemies to be temporary allies. Last but not the least, Charisma will make traders come to your land easier. That way, you can get better items to craft.
Gaining Strength to get weaponsmith will expand your enjoyment in making a weapon. Though your nerd doesn’t need to fight, you won’t be able to avoid it anyway right?
- Robot – Intelligence 8: More damage against robots, ability to deactivate robots, have them help you, and build for the Settlement. Create your own army with this artificial intelligence. Also, it will help you to manage things in your settlement.
- Inspiration – Charisma 8: Inspire your companions to become better able to protect you and generate more power at settlements. Bonus: Companions will directly target enemies that are attacking you, and twice as many generators can be used in each settlement. Since you lose combat abilities to become a scientist, you need to rely on companions. Make them stronger as much as you can.
- Weaponsmith – Strength 4: Utilize weapon crafting to modify and repair melee weapons, including melee components of pistols and rifles. Primary Skill, at 4 Ranks, requires 4 Strength. Vault Boy is standing at a Weapons Workbench and is working on a combat shotgun. Bonus: Modifying and repairing melee weapons now requires 50% less resources. Even if you cannot fight very well, a weapon is still needed. It will be better if you can build it easily.